Wednesday, October 13, 2010

In debt to love

I love CCEF, a biblical counseling college dedicated to restoring Christ to counseling and counseling to the church (that is actually their slogan too!) The resources available on their website have been so helpful to me as I complete a secular education in a counseling-related field. The emphasis on Freudian psychologies, self-actualization and many other psyche-driven interventions in the world of counseling has set off my biblical spoof radar on a pretty consistent basis and so I set out to find a counter attack for these worldly teachings that I just can't buy. Enter CCEF. They are affiliated with Westminster Theological Seminary and provide podcasts, ask a counselor, articles and many other resources. I really think they're helpful for everyone, not just people entering a counseling field. They touch on many practical issues that are a part of life today and that people would seek a counselor's advice and guidance for, but their advice comes from a bible-centered, gospel-saturated perspective.
One of my favorite authors and counselors, Ed Welch (he wrote the book "When People are Big and God is Small" which is an outstanding book! oh and I swear I'm not being paid or compensated in any way to do this post, I am just such a fan!) shares his thoughts about why affection and attraction isn't enough reason for marriage and the right-minded attitudes that constitute love that lasts. Check it out here.

No comments:

Footer