Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Details, Details, Details!

As my mom often reminds me (with a satisfied, somewhat smug look on her face), I am NOT a "details" person. The smug look from Danae is a reminder that indeed she IS a "details" person, and so despite all my strivings to be an independent, self-sufficient woman, when it comes down to it I admit...I still need my mama.



No, I do not thrive off of labeling every folder and filing it with a color coded sticker, and I confess that my eyes glaze over when I open up mail that is not a postcard or a package, and yes, I'm guilty of having a huge pile-up of miscellaneous papers stuffed in my bottom drawer and ok, I am also that girl who has to rush order every single document I've ever needed due to major procrastination and lack of reading the fine print in a letter (or any print at all)...



And so I concede that these things called "details" are way out of my league.



They say that in order to be freed from the things you fear most, you must face them. And so, I will confront Details head on, with a face of determination and an air of defiance that I will not be mastered by such a finicky little thing called Details.



So here they are- the Details of my trip down under (but only the fun ones!)...I left the rest for Danae to figure out. haha



Where: Perth, Australia (West coast)

When: July 21- December 10 2008

Why: Study Abroad, Travel, Adventure

Biggest Fear: Getting attacked by a shark and losing limbs (Either take all or none of me)

Secret Wish: Become a surfer girl

Hours in the airport: 85 both ways

First book to be read along the journey: The Evolution of a Creationist by Jobe Martin

Word I will start using profusely: "Mate"

Aussie Job: Nanny for 2 little girls, Isabella (2 1/2 years) and Alexia (4 months)

I don't want my parents to know that: I plan to acquire a liking for the taste of beer

Inspiring words for the way: "I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me- the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace."

Academic Goal: Attend all my classes

Academic Reality: If chance for outdoor adventure comes knocking, will completely disregard Academic Goal.

Things I will miss about home: Sask's Living Skies, Buckeye Hockey Girls, UA Church Moms, my sibs, B & D, taking my pup Tia out for runs

Anticipated Weakness for: Australian accents

Airports to Travel Through: Minneapolis, Los Angeles, Taipei, Kuala Lumpur, Perth

Anyways, the adventure hasn't even begun yet...so I promise more deets to come!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

great details
great goals
keep it up

Danae said...

I must refute the "details" comments made by Jody. I definitely do not have a smug look on my face as I race Jody to whatever agency to renew whatever document that was due 2 weeks ago!! And I strongly disagree that Jody is not a details person. When she wants to be, she can be. She made all the arrangments for this Aussie trip on her own - classes, visa, work, money, flights, and more. Great Job! You go girl and have fun! Mom

Jill Slywka said...

Glad to see you've joined the blogging world, Jody! Can't wait to read about your adventures!

PamAnderson said...

Haha you crack me up! Good luck with the australian accent, thank God you don´t have to learn a new language :) You will have enough trouble with the australian accent..And when I say trouble, i mean boys are trouble!! Be careful haha! Love you lots, can´t believe you have a "blog". Now I can stalk all the details of you life!

erika.37 said...

jods, so stoked for ur adventures. keep us all in teh loop! missin u buddy!

Footer