Monday, July 6, 2009

Columbus to Minneapolis (halfway home)

i drove for 14 hours in my car today. all alone. it was surprisingly wonderful apart from the periodic cramps that wreaked havoc on my legs every 2-3 hours. i became "that girl" doing laps around the sunoco gas station to get the blood flowing. i'm not ashamed. there were a few delirious moments of driving-exhaustion where the only remedy was to crank the local rap station and break it down at the top of my lungs (i usually just sing the duet girl part to be completely honest). the country station is also a sure thing for sing-alongs but sometimes an excess of the crooning of heart-sick hicks makes me a bit nauseous. reading and analyzing ridiculous billboards, bumper stickers, and license plates kept me occupied for a bit and there were a few moments where i just reflected on the joy of the excellence in gas mileage that Coby the Cobalt supplies. 14 hours of a 26 hour journey are now down and the reality of home is setting in. home is wonderful. there's something safe and comforting about being at home with my family. the Lord has used it to revitalize and refresh me in the past, and i have no doubt that He will be faithful in this again. i need rest in Christ. i need renewal in my spirit, in my heart, in my mind. the long drive home has been the start of that as i pull myself away from distractions and busyness and am in solitude before the Lord. i'm in deep need of Christ and i know it.


"Now then, little man, for a short time fly from your business; hide yourself for a moment from your turbulent thoughts. Break off now your troublesome cares, and think less of your laborious occupations. Make a little time for God, and rest for a while in him. Enter into the chamber of your mind, shut out everything but God and whatever helps you to seek him, and, when you have shut the door, seek him. Speak now, O my whole heart, speak now to God: 'I seek thy face; thy face, Lord, do I desire.'"

Anselm of Canterbury (ca. 1033-1109), Proslogion, chapter one.

No comments:

Footer