Friday, August 15, 2008

Settling In...

As you might have guessed from the title, I am beginning to settle in to life in Perth and the Aussie way. I have been here for almost 4 weeks and can now say that I am through the worst of homesickness and am starting to drink in each moment and experience what life has to offer with complete enthusiasm. I remember my international business class talking about the 4 stages of transitioning to life in a new country:
1) Tourist phase (first week I was here),
2) Culture Shock (week 2 and 3- depression/homesickness),
3) Beginning of Adjustment (currently experiencing) and lastly,
4) Complete Adjustment (can't say I'm there quite yet!)
I didn't really think that I would experience this in a mere 6 months away from home, but in hindsight, I have definitely felt the emotional rollercoaster ride that is a part of each phase. It is so crazy taking learned theories from a class and experiencing them firsthand!

The Aussie way is sooo laid-back, and I am noticing this more and more each day. The beach seems to pose enough reason to skip class, hop out of work early, and take an extra long weekend for a coastal roadtrip. The Aussies love to travel and I have swapped stories with a few people who have been up our way in North America. It is so interesting to hear what they have to say about our country (Canada and the US!) and to gain a bit of insight into what they think of us as people! Lets just say that they are not afraid to speak their minds!

I am actually in the midst of moving to a new family to live with and do my part-time nannying stint. The family that I was living with initially was just not a fit for me and for any of you Harry Potter enthusiasts out there, the word "house-elf" comes to mind...I think you catch my drift! It has been a long process but I am feeling optimistic about the idea of moving in with my new family.

I'm going to end this one because I am heading off to meet some friends at the Tavern on campus. Miss you all so much and think of you often!

1 comment:

chelsa said...

hey jods... i'm SO glad to hear you're getting through the homesickness stage and into enjoying life. i miss you TONS. nice work on the blog, sis, it's great. :)

Footer